Time Capsule Musings

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Life is Good

Mike Shreeman left yesterday and now Pat Shay is here. Both times it's been sad to have someone leave especially when the house has settled around a particular rhythem and motion. We all went out and played bocci ball after the show the night before. We had to find out who had the stronger bocci mojo. Mike who lost every game we played last time or me who won every game. So we joined forces with Jen against Rance, Seth, Pat and Larrance. Mike won his first game of bocci that night since being on the island. And Rance adopted my style of play so strong was my mojo. Just toss it down the court, don't think about it. Works every time.

Pat's a great addition to the house. Mellow, calm, interesting and funny as hell on stage. His wife Mary wasn't able to come out with him, but she may still come out later. I had not met Pat before only heard about the legend of Pat Shay and his dancers. I can see why now everytime I mentioned his name as someone who will be in the cast the same time as Rance and I, the response went something like, "Pat Shay?! Oh, wow you're lucky, he's a really nice guy."

Yesterday I went on my first real hike since being here. Seth wanted to go on the same hike only later in the day and then go straight to the theater. It was my day off I wanted to go earlier and get some sight seeing in and not have to worry about going into town. So I went by myself. No amount of talking would convince Rance to go. He'd never make it on Survivor.

For me there are few things better than hiking to the top of a mountain and laying out in a cool breeze on the rocky overhang. It was gorgeous, with a low fog coming in over Sommes Sound, and two eagles soaring above. It was everything a good Christian rock video should be.

The climb up was was only rated a moderate difficulty but for someone short appendeged like me, the climb was a bit tougher. There was lots of bouldering and long reaches both up and down. There were a few times that I had to scoot on my butt as my legs just wouldn't reach the next foothold. But I made it and it felt good to do it alone.

I saw two french woman at the top of the climb. Interestingly I had just read another friend's blog about her stay in Amsterdam and how European women never wear shorts. Sure enough these women had on Calvin Klein Jeans and pure white chunky soled sneakers. I had arrived at the apex a little sweaty and admittedly disheveled. They looked like they had just been dropped off at the top from a chopper with nary a hair out of place. I'll never know how they did it. They started back down about 3 minutes before me and I never saw them again.

After the hike I got in my car and drove around the island scoping out some more potential hiking points. I also stopped by the Pie Lady's place and got a fresh from the oven Maine blueberry pie...so good.

4 Comments:

  • At 4:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    D- THANK GOD FOR THIS ENTRY! I was beginning to wonder about your productivity, and worried that I might have to go outside this summer. Now I should be set for the next few days, living vicariously through you and wondering what fresh Maine bb pie tastes like.

    We're having a drought here. Good thing I didn't plant any corn this year.

     
  • At 10:33 AM, Blogger Deanna Moffitt said…

    Sorry to worry you dear Duncan. You can now safely stay indoors and guard yourself from the sun's nasty rays.

    You always were a smart man about your corn.

     
  • At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HEY! If we're ever in Portland at the same time, we're going to the gorge and hiking. Done. (And we can film a rock vid while we're at it.)

    -Erin

     
  • At 6:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Pat Shay is a nice guy. For reals. The pie lady litteraly is located 30 yards from my dad's apartment. "Crazy good strawberry rhubarb," says my pops, I don't like rhubarb though.

    -declan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home