Time Capsule Musings

Monday, June 13, 2005

What Happened to Sunday?

Abby, Mike and I all rode out to the theater together last night. Rance planned on staying home and catching up on the History channel or something as equally stimulating. By the time we got to the theater we were raring to go. I ran across the street to the Chowder House and got some yummy clam chowder to eat before call. Seven PM rolled around and there were still no reservations. We did some vocal warmups and changed into show clothes. At 7:45 still no one. Finally two people showed up, but they decided they didn't want to be the only two so they said they'd come back tomorrow. At 8:05 Larrance had to make the tough call to cancel the show. It's got to be disheartening, especially after such a great opening weekend. Of course 5 minutes after we called the show five people walked up and had to be turned away.

But it's clear how much local support Larrance and Jen have here, after closing up the theater we walked next door to Apertif for some appetizers and wine. The patrons in there, mostly locals all wondered what we were doing in there, didn't we have a show? When Larrance said that no one had showed up they just couldn't believe it.

The town was really quiet, hardly anyone was walking around Bar Harbor. And I know have a typical Bar Harbor saying to add to my repatoire..."It is only June". Which is said to anyone who complains about the lack of tourists.

We stayed at Apertif trying several of their appetizers. Fortunately I didn't have anything to drink because on the way home Jen and Abby piled into my car for the first all girl outing, which added up to the drive home. Abby played mix-master with my ipod and we had the car rocking with some 80's funk music and we were all laughing and car dancing when I saw the lights flashing behind me.

The drive to and from the theater usually takes anywhere between 40 - 50 minutes depending on the traffic. And they have the strangest speed changes along the way from 50 to 35 to 40 to 25 for seemingly no good reason. I was going about 5 miles over the speed limit and because of the rhythm in my heart I had swerved a little bit to hit the beat. If you like to car dance you know what I mean.

When I stopped the officer who came up to my window looked like he would have been carded to buy cigarettes at the local 7-11. He told me he had stopped because one of my tail lights was out and he had seen me swerve a bit. Of course my ID was in the trunk of my car so he just took my name and my birthdate, and went back to his car to run the information or whatever they do back there.

One thing I can say for Maine police though is that they don't have a mean streak. He just came back and said I should get the light fixed and sent me on my way.

When we all were back at the house we busted out a couple of new games. One called Survive that's a child hood favorite of Jen's. It's this great board game with whales, sharks and sea serpents who are all trying to get your people as you're trying to get them off a sinking island to safe shore. jen, Rance and I played that one. Then we all got around the table to play a game called Flux. A great party card game that had ever changing rules and fools with people's strategic thinking. I finally went to bed around 1:30 and Rance came up after playing a few more hands.

Rance and I got up this morning to take the car over to an auto parts store and get a new light, but we found that the light wasn't out. Weird, that cop was either checking to make sure we weren't drunk or maybe I was being flirted with by a pubescent looking officer of the law. A girl can only hope.

I went on another bike ride today around two fresh water lakes in Acadia. It was really hot and humid here in Ellsworth and I just wanted to escape into the forest. Rance didn't want to go so I went by myself. It was fabulous. So much cooler and around mile 10 I could hear thunder off in the distance. I stopped by Eagle Lake and got off my bike for a bit when the rain started coming. I just stayed for awhile letting the rain wash over me and enjoying the view. It was so peaceful not another soul around. I rode the rest of the way back to the car in the rain shower and couldn't have been happier.

If you ever get the chance to come to Maine do it. If you're an improvisor coming out to Improvacadia this summer consider yourself lucky, it's one hell of an experience.

2 Comments:

  • At 11:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That bike ride sounds wonderous, Deanna! This blog is a welcomed work distraction.--Erin

     
  • At 8:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You got pulled over? That's too bad. I understand wat you mean about car dancing though. I don't drive yet, but i've made my brother swerve a bit when a good tune comes over the radio. And also, (not to correct you, but) we don't have any local 7-11's. :( I love their slurpees, and the closest one is miles and miles away.

    -declan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home