Time Capsule Musings

Saturday, June 18, 2005

When Magic Happens

Okay, so no spoilers on the Batman Begins movie, just a rating of "I liked it". Though as predicted, I did fall asleep during the film. Rance assured me it was during the "funny" moments that I slumbered. I was only out of it for about 10 minutes and then snapped back to reality to watch the rest of the film.

When Katie Holmes came on the screen for the first time there were audible conversations throughout the theater of "that's Tom Cruises's new girlfriend". I didn't even know she was in the movie and it did make me wonder for a moment about the art of PR. Could they really be making such a fuss about their relationship in the hopes of promoting their respective summer blockbuster movies? I admit to doing a high-grade eye roll and the thought of it all. And then I went right back to finish reading my People magazine, it's all so delicious.

Yesterday, Jen and I did yoga by video tape. It's a beginner's yoga tape with Patrica Walden as the host/teacher. Her voice drives me crazy; a mix of sexy whispering with a sprinkling of hippyism. I had the same tape at one time and sold it in a garage sale. But I was glad for the opportunity to do some sort of exercise, it's been raining so much that outside activity isn't much of an option. At least I thought it wasn't an option.

Later in the afternoon Rance and I took a walk around the neighborhood and old downtown area. We walked over to the Ellsworth dam and saw an odd assortment of birds and water fowl, eagles, and ducks and what I think was a heron. Neither one of had brought a camera so we'll go back when it's nicer weather to get some shot.

Last night's shows were fantastic! It was a double header with a normal show at 8pm and then a show called the Community Well at the 10pm slot. The three women in the current cast Jen, Abby McEneny and myself opened the 10pm show as Bra Harbor. A tip o' the hat to Rance for the name. So much fun to play with those two. And then a local resident named Frank Bachman, who at one time toured with the show Evita for 10 years, sang songs that he and Larrance had rehearsed as our source material. None of the actors knew in advance what songs would be sung, but as soon as he started we were mezmorized. What a beautiful rich voice.

Toward the end of the piece Frank came out and sang the song "Somewhere That's Green" from "Little Shop of Horrors". When Rance and I first started dating he made me a mix CD with that song on it, and it's always had a soft spot for both of us. So as soon as he was done with the song Rance and I hit the stage and what happened next felt magical for the both of us. It was such a simple scene, I only said one line, though the scene probably went on for two minutes. We both immediately knew what the scene was about and how to play it. It was one of the most favorite moments I've ever had on stage and to have it with Rance was the best.

At next week's Community Well I'm going to open the show with a one person show based off the Sybilization classes that I took with Andy Eninger. Yikes, keep your fingers crossed and wish me well, I haven't done a solo show since April.

We're all heading over to the quiet side of the island today to make some noise and see the sights before another double header tonight. I love this life and I love these people, damn I feel lucky to be here.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yoga by videotape. Batman. Little Shop of Horrors. Sounds like fun. Frank has a wonderful voice, and I remember Bra Harbor, and Ball Harbor. Fond memories of my summer with two of the coolest people i have ever met.

    -declan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home