Time Capsule Musings

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Wicked Women Plus One Guy

Tonight a few of us from CSz are going to dinner and then to see the musical Wicked. I've been looking forward to this since it hit town so I'm very excited. The only bad news is that I stayed up late last night doing some writing and then got up early to run some errands so there's a pretty good chance that I'll fall asleep during the show.

I've turned into one of those people that you see at movies that snoozing before the opening credits have finished. Rance took me to see Harry Potter at Navy Pier's IMAX Theater. It's an amazing theater with a fantastic sound system and a movie I had prepared for by watching all three previous movies on DVD and even reading the book again. Even that didn't stop the sandman from coming in an tossing a cupful of zzzz dust into my face. I missed about half the movie though I tried valiantly to stay awake. My head bobbed to and fro until it finally rested on my right shoulder and I slept fitfully during wizardry duals and Hermione's over pronunciation of her pronouns.

Today I lunched with my mentor here in Chicago. He's got such an amazing future ahead of him out in LA. I sat and shoveled "healthy" nachos in my face as he regaled me with stories about famous people both in front of and behind the camera. The best part is his future is incredibly bright and yet he's still got to pay his bills here in Chicago, so he's doing some work under the table for a friend of his who needed sheet rock hung. It's the stuff great biographies are made of.

Oh, and if you're reading this in Chicago and you ever need a little coffee shop to write or read in please visit Coffee Latika it's near the intersection of Broadway and Belmont. It's quiet and unassuming and if you work on a laptop they provide free Wi-Fi access. I pass both a Starbucks and an always overcrowded Caribou Coffee to get there and am always glad to arrive.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I fall asleep at the movies too, and it is really frustrating when it's a movie that you really do want to see. Perhaps what is even more frustrating is that on a recent plane ride I started watching "Under the Tuscan Sun" under the assumption that it would lull me to sleep in no time, and ended up watching the whole thing. What a triumph of a movie though.

     
  • At 2:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I went to see POTTER at midnight on the thursday before it came out. I was soooo tired, and the movie went for 2 and a half hours! I had school the next day! Anyway, i got to dress up and run around the theater with a cape. I got aplauded by drunked lady's and i even saw Porcia (bartender). Overall it was a goood time. I'm sorry you slept through it, but its a good one! you gotta get the DVD.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home