Time Capsule Musings

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Elvis is Not Dead

Today after teaching my last workshop I decided to check out the gym. I don't know why I haven't been there yet, most likely I've just been tired from getting up so dang early and all I want to do after the morning sessions is come stretch out on this luxurious king size bed. Anyway, the gym is great; flat screen T.V's., nice equipment and completely empty.

Since I was merely checking it out I promptly left and explored the Atrium Tower of the hotel, trying to decide what I wanted for dinner. There was an older gentleman in the elevator when it opened to pick me up. He smiled said hi and asked me if I was going down to lose some money. Our friendly banter quickly turned a little weird when he asked me if I had seen the Elvis show at the hotel. He had seen it nine times and really felt it should not be missed. I told him I was going to dinner. He ended our conversation by asking if I knew the show Wheel of Fortune and then said they'd really screwed up by hiring Vanna White when they could have had me. Best-worst pick up line ever!!!

I went to eat at Cesca's a fabulous five star restaurant here at the hotel. Just as my food arrived in strolled Mr. Pickupartist. He placed a ticket to the Elvis show on my table and said he got it for me because it was the best show in Atlantic City and he didn't want me to miss it. I thanked him profusely and went on to enjoy some of the best food I've eaten in a long time.

Not feeling like rushing my dining experience I ate at a leisurely pace and got over to the Elvis show about a half hour late. The place was packed full of 50-80 year olds, I'd say about 3,000 people in all. Half of them screaming ladies relieving a more youthful time. The other half hard of hearing men who were dragged there by their wives. I kept thinking how much my mom would have loved this extravaganza.

I on the other hand was wondering if this kid who was playing Elvis was even alive before he died. He had a decent voice why wasn't he just singing his own stuff? He had 70 year old women going crazy in the front row, screaming, reaching out to touch him. I wonder what kind of women go backstage and if he ever gets lucky with them. Creepy? Yes, I'd say yes.

So thank you Mr. Pickupartist from Rhode Island. Sorry I couldn't go to dinner with you.

2 Comments:

  • At 12:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hillarious!! That was a good laugh. I could just see you.
    Love, LaDoo

     
  • At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds like a fun trip! I have yet to meet an Elvis impersonator face to face. I'll make sure i do before i see you again. I don't know why.

    -declan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home