Time Capsule Musings

Monday, July 18, 2005

Almost Killed By A Moose

Last night on the way back from the theater Rance was driving Larrance and me back home. We were discussing a documentary that Larrance recommended called "Sherman's March", when seemingly out of nowhere four very long legs came into view silhouetted by an oncoming car's headlights. Thank God for Rance's quick video game playing reactions. He immediately swerved into the shoulder of the lane avoiding certain disaster. I don't think any of us saw the full animal, just the long legs and a shadow of a head with horns as it loomed over us, but we were all certain it was a bull moose. It, and or us, would have been killed if we had hit it. I'm so thankful Rance was driving I don't think my non-video game playing game would have reacted as quickly.

We bought the newest Harry Potter book in Bar Harbor on Friday at midnight. Rance, Seth and Jen are all reading their copies and trying really hard not to spoil it with book club discussions.

Oh and Rance, Seth, and I saw "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory". If you've been reading my blog you know I have difficulty staying awake in movies. Not this one!! I really loved it and even found myself welling up with tears in the first part. Yes, I'm a sucker for emotionally manipulative movies. I thought it was wonderfully cast and beautifully done. The best part is that I still love the original just as much. In fact, I have to say I love the Oompa-Loo's from the original movies more than the digitized version from "Charlie".

Yesterday Jen and I had a girls day out. We went to a bead store where I attempted to bead a multi-strand necklace from seed beads. The tiniest little beads around. Jen designed and beaded two full necklaces by the time I had two strands done. Mine is still a work in progress. She got to wear one of hers out of the store. I told her I'd take a picture of it when mine's done in two years so she can see what my vision was all about.

Somewhere in the days since I last wrote, Andrea and I took a much longer bike ride than originally intended. We started out heading out highway 3 but turned around to go down a back road to Sand Beach when I wussed out and didn't want to face the hills and the headwind. Yes, I know I have 150 mile bike ride coming up in three weeks. The ironic thing is we decided to go on the one way park loop road, with the original intention of riding to Otter Crest. Once we conquered the ride and the hills to Otter Crest we thought we'd ride to Blackwoods Campground and catch a free shuttle bus back into town. It looked to be only another 2 miles or so on the map. So we peddled on, and on, and on. At one point Andrea said she could smell the campground because of the "piss pots" but we had missed the turnoff. Because the road is a one way we continued on all the way to Jordan's Pond House and caught a shuttle from there to town. I guess wussing out was not really an option that day.

We did get to enjoy the delectable lemonade and popovers at Jordan Pond House. I even ventured out and had the lobster stew. Which was essentially about four pieces of lobster in a hot cream broth. It's blog worthy but nothing to write home about.

Now I can say I've touched a sea squirt. Rance and I visited the Oceanarium in SW Harbor and the highlight was the touch tank where you can hear about and touch a sea cucumber, a sea star, a horseshoe crap, a moon snail and a sea urchin. And of course a sea squirt which really just looks like a piece of poo (sorry Rebecca).

Only six nights left of our summer in Maine, then it's back on the road up through Canada to head for home. So much to do so little time.

3 Comments:

  • At 10:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I never thought I'd say this, but thank god for "Donkey Konga". :-)

    -Erin C.

     
  • At 12:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Horseshoe crap, eh? Hmmm. The ocean is a marvelous thing.

    -- Gretchen

     
  • At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad you're still alive. Thank god for Midway games, and anyother type of game rance plays. The oceanarium is fun, and Charlie and the chocolate factory looks like a good one. Did you know (i know you mentioned they were digitized) but that they were actually just one guy? A-mazing.

    -declan

     

Post a Comment

<< Home